Can you resist a spicy, sweet, savory, plate of chewy noodles!? I know I can’t! This recipe is so versatile, its crazy! Make this with YOUR desired choice of protein or veggies. Yaki Udon can easily be made without any meat making this dish amazing if you are a vegetarian.
What is Yaki Udon?
It is a Japanese stir fry using fresh or frozen udon noodles with your choice of vegtables and protein. The noodles are coated with a dark, sweet and salty sauce. I personally love using frozen udon noodles as it gives a very unique texture. I also always have udon noodles in my pantry making this very easy for me to make!
This is a 15-minute meal from start to finish!
Fast, simple, and delicious! Whatever you choose, I’m going to show you the key ingredients into making this the BEST stir noodle dish you have ever had!
This recipe feeds approximately 2 – 3 people.
- 500 grams frozen udon (about 2 packets)
- Sesame oil
- 2-3 skinless chicken thighs sliced
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp chicken bullion
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 124g sliced onion & white part of green onions
- 135 brocolli
- 135g iced bell peppers & sliced carrots
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 sliced serrano peppers
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Japanese Mirin
- 2 -3 tbsp chicken broth ( You may want to adjust it on how saucy you want it)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili garlic
- pinch of sugar
- green onions
- sesame seeds
- Start by slicing chicken thighs and letting it marinate in the ingredients listed above. If you are substituting the meat for tofu, follow the same exact steps.
- Place your udon noodles in a rapid boiling water. Cook it for about 1 minute. The key is just to separate the noodles, the noodles are already precooked so you don’t want to overcook it. Drain and rinse it under cold water. Drizzle your noodles with a little sesame oil so it won’t stick together.
- Mix together the sauce and set aside
- On medium-high heat, place 1-2 tbsp cooking oil and cook the chicken. Space out the chicken to give it a good sear. DON’T over crowd the pan. When your chicken is about almost done, add in the garlic and onions and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add in your vegetables and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in your noodles and your sauce on top. Make sure you coat the sauce with the noodles and vegetables. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on high heat.
- Top with sliced green onions and cilantro. Serve while hot and enjoy!