The perfect combination of a sweet milk bread and a salty hotdog.
Just think of this as a Chinese version of pigs in a blanket but 10 x better. The dough is light, soft, airy, and slightly sweet. Baked to perfection then topped off with chives, sesame seeds, or cheese, the combinations are endless!
Growing up, my grandparents would go to the grocery store and always pick up some hot fresh buns for my sister and I.
I would eat these babies for breakfast or lunch. It’s normally spirally wrapped around the hot dog creating a cute fluffy pocket. The ones that I am making today are just as good but formed into a beautiful flower. Whichever shape or form you choose it sure will leave you happy!
The bread dough is a sweet milk based bread with a nice light and fluffy bite.
Traditionally you would achieve the magical texture by using a Tangzong method. I personally have never used this method on any of my baked goodies so I won’t be using it in this one. But just trust me, my recipe still comes out perfectly soft and airy without all of the hard labor.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 215 ML warm room temperature milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp sugar + 1 tsp for yeast mixture
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 large egg
- 1 large egg + 1 tsp of water to brush at the end
- Hot dogs cut into 7 pieces for the flower bun
- Sesame Seeds
- 1 Beaten egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted melted butter
This Recipe makes about 5 – 6 large flower baos
Directions for dough:
- In a bowl, whisk together warm milk, yeast and a tsp of sugar and let it proof for 5 minutes. In your standard mixer bowl, add flour, salt, remaining sugar, and stir it together.
- Using your hook tool, slowly add in wet mixture to the flour.
- Whisk together honey and eggs and gradually add it to the flour.
- Set the speed to “4” and let it kneed for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, you would add in your butter. Add your butter 1 tbsp at a time and let it kneed for about 7 minutes or until your dough is smooth and shiny. This is a fairly wet dough.
- Shape your dough in a nice ball. Grease a large bowl and place dough in the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towl. Put the bowl in the oven to let it rise. Check it every 20 minutes to see if it doubled in size. You don’t want to over rest it or it will collapse when you bake it.
- Once dough has risen, punch out any air and begin to roll your dough. Lightly dust your surface area with flour to prevent it from sticking.
How to create the flower:
- Weight out your dough to 140 grams.
- Roll it in a ball and flatten it.
- Make 5 petals by making slits and leaving the center untouched.
- Twist over each petal and press in the center to insert the hotdogs.
- Put a piece of hot dog in each petal. Repeat steps until all of the dough are used.
- Cover with a towel to your dough rise again for anther 15-20 minutes.
- Pre heat your oven to 350°F.
- Lightly brush your bread with your egg wash. Top the bread with your desired topping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cooking time will range from your oven. Just seep an eye on it around the 20 minute mark and look out for a golden brown color.
- Brush with melted butter once done.
- Transfer on a cooling rack after 2 minutes so it won’t get soggy. Let it cool and then enjoy!