Perfectly cooked sticky rice soaked with a sweet coconut sauce, eaten with a side of ripe mangoes.
A very sweet dessert that you will love! The first time I tried this dessert was at a mom and pops Thai Restaurant that is no longer in business. They suggested I ordered this sweet treat after my spicy meal. Let me tell you how mind blown I was when I took the first bite. I cleaned that plate and even wanted more after I was done! That’s how good it was!
The sauce is a sweet coconut cream with a hint of salt.
You can taste the different components of each item. The sticky rice had a very sweet coconut taste, not soggy, that still held its texture. There was also an additional sauce that you get to pour over the rice and mangoes. Oh and we can’t forget about the mangoes! Sweet yellow juicy mangoes on the side to balance out the heavy glutinous rice.
This dessert seems complicated but it is very easy to make at home.
Yes it may seem less of a headache to just place an order at your local Thai Restaurant. But this dessert can be quite pricey! So I decided to experiment in the kitchen to make this beauty so your girl can save some money! It took a few tries, but I finally got it to the right consistency that I liked. Let me show you how easy it is to recreate this sweet dessert.
Ingredients for sweet sticky rice:
- 2 cups of cooked sticky rice (1 1/2 cups uncooked rice)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup sugar + 1 tbsp (more if you like it sweeter)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pandan leaves (optional for a beautiful fragrant smell)
Ingredients for the sauce on top:
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tbsp (more if like it sweeter)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp corn starch + 1 tbsp cold water
- Champagne mangoes
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Feeds approximately 2-3 people
- Soak your sticky rice for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour and rinse it clean. Place it in a bamboo steamer and cook for 20 minutes on one side and flip it to cook the other side. The rice will be shiny and tender. If you don’t have a bamboo steamer, wrap the rice with cheese cloth and place it in any steam container you have on hand.
- While your rice is cooking, prepare both of your sauces. Whisk together the first sauce on medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Take out the pandan leaves and leave it on low heat until the rice is cooked.
- The second sauce, you will need to mix corn starch and water to thicken up the sauce. On medium heat, combine everything together and whisk in the cornstarch till it’s well incorporated and thickened up. Set aside until everything is done.
- When the sticky rice is cooked, place 2 cups of sticky rice in a mixture bowl. Pour in the first sauce mixture to cover the rice. Mix everything together until the grains are separated and evenly coated with the sauce. You don’t want to pour too much sauce or it will make the rice soggy and inedible. Cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Once done, fluff it up with a fork.
- To assemble the plate, place the sweet sticky rice and fresh sliced mangoes on the side, Drizzle sauce over the rice and mangoes and serve immediately.
If you don’t plan on eating this right away, don’t soak the sauce in the cooked sticky rice. It will not taste the same heated up.