What do you do with your left over rice and poultry? Make kimchi fried rice of course! Here’s a fun way to clean out your fridge and make dinner in less than 30 minutes.
Let’s start with the rice, making sure you use day old rice works best for kimchi fried rice. If you use fresh rice, the rice will become soggy and mushy and nobody wants that! The kimchi should be extra fermented and crisp. Having all of your ingredients prepped and ready before you start cooking is going to be the key to a smooth transitional cooking. You don’t want to scramble around for any missing ingredients. Cooking fried rice is fast and simple but since you’re cooking on medium- high heat, you can easily burn your food. Now let’s get cooking!
- 2 cups cold rice (I used Jasmine Rice)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced kimchi (the more sour the better)
- 2 tbsp kimchi juice
- 1 cup sliced bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces (or your choice of protein)
- 1/2 cup diced spam (or your choice of protein)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 tbsp of the white part of green onions sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tsp gochujang (Korean pepper paste)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Korean pepper flakes
- 2 fried eggs
- 1 tbsp green part of green onions
- Garlic chili sauce
- Sliced nori seaweed
- Sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- On medium – high heat, add bacon to the pan until its half way cooked then add the spam and cook until golden brown.
- Add diced onions, white part of green onions and sauté for 2 mins. Lightly season the onions with salt and pepper.
- Stir in sliced kimchi & kimchi juice and cook for about 3-4 mins.
- While this is cooking, mix butter & gochujang (Korean pepper paste) together and set aside.
- Create a well and add in cold rice to the pan, coat the rice with the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Fry the eggs to your liking and set aside for the garnish.
- Add the butter/pepper paste, soy sauce, and Korean pepper flakes. Taste, & season with more salt, pepper, and soy sauce if needed.
- Stir fry everything together making sure it is evenly coated with seasonings.
- Turn off heat and transfer to a serving dish or cast iron pan. Sprinkle spring green onions, sesame seeds, sesame oil, chili sauce, and slice seaweed. Serve hot and ENJOY!
Recipe serves 1-2 people